A reader asked about some of the tech used to produce this blog and my homepage.
As for the players – I am using Soundcloud for the embedded player. I am generally happy with Soundcloud, but I have serious reservations about the redesign they are launching soon. They seem to be struggling with the right balance between simplicity and control. It’s still the best solution I’m aware of for audio portfolios, but I would like it to be easier to create sets and to manage what shows up on my homepage. This is getting beyond the scope of the original question, but here are some Soundcloud feature suggestions:
- Password-protected pages which I can invite specific people to view sets to allow composers to pitch for projects.
- Sort the homepage by upload date, title, and set.
- More visibility for how to create a Set – this feature is quite buried today.
- Not a fan of the way to organize the default homepage sorting order. Being able to control only the top 5 items isn’t adequate. Also, only being able to move things to the top or not at all isn’t so good at all. I would suggest the Netflix queue management UI as being a good model for what Soundcloud is trying to do here.
- I know they’ll hate me for suggesting this – but it would sure be handy to be able to embed YouTube videos into SoundCloud pages. There, I said it.